An Accomplished Woman

Comprehending a great deal

Archive for the ‘Possessing a Certain Something’ Category

Accomplished: Lavender Sachets Sewn

leave a comment »

Silk sachets filled with lavender

Tonight, a Monday, I whipped up these three sachets (and took this awful picture of them).

Time: 2 hours or less if you keep the decorations simple

Difficulty: 2

Tools and Materials:

  • Rag bag slub silk scraps (eggplant and turquoise)
  • Dried lavender from the greenmarket ($10 for 1/2 pound and it’s gone a long way).
  • Sewing machine
  • Needle
  • Thread

Process:

  • Nothing fancy here.
  • I just cut a couple squares of the silk for each sachet (I pieced the stripes on the two striped ones)
  • Sewed up three sides
  • Clipped the corners
  • Turned them inside out
  • Filled 2/3 of the way full with the lavender
  • Folded the raw edges in
  • Whip stitched the opening closed.
  • I made the turquoise flower thing separately in a sort of freeform way. I just hand stitched around the edge of a randomly shaped scrap of silk and pulled tight, making a single petal. I did more the same way and stitched their raw edges (where they were pulled tight) all together. I covered the raggedy center by tacking a final poufy petal over it. Then I tacked the whole thing to the sachet.

Thoughts:

  • Very easy little project.
  • Makes a luxurious looking and smelling gift.
  • Happy Mother’s Day, mother in law.
  • I bought the bag of lavender on a whim. I love having way more than enough of something that I have no idea how I will use.
  • So far I’ve made about 10 sachets and 3 eye masks. Mostly for last minute gifts or to round out a care package.
  • Recommended.
Advertisements

Written by kdka

April 27, 2010 at 3:40 am

Accomplished: Bloomers Sewn

leave a comment »

Sewn Bloomers

Tonight, a Thursday, I sewed a pair of bloomers. What for? TBD.

Total Time: 4 hours… not so long, really, but jeebus it’s late.

Difficulty: 5

Tools and Materials:

  • About a yard of cotton muslin
  • About a yard of 1/2″ elastic
  • 2 yards 1/8″ satin ribbon
  • Elna 3210 Gallery Series sewing machine
  • Toastmaster Steam Iron, purchased at the drugstore.
  • Thread
  • Awesome and free Madeleine Mini Bloomers Pattern (Download from Collette Patterns)
  • Lexmark 7600 Series inkjet printer

Process:

  • Sewed them up as per the Collette pattern instructions.
  • No real trouble other than my printer automatically scaled the pattern to fit the print area. Since the pattern tiles on 20+ pages, I didn’t bother reprinting, I just made them the large size instead of medium.
  • As a result of this wonkiness, the waistband is a bit lower than I think was intended.

Thoughts:

  • In theory, these are cute, but I can’t help feeling like I’m wearing a frilly diaper.
  • The model on the Collette Patterns site can pull it off; I’ll need to work on my mood lighting and my frame of mind before they 100% work for me.
  • Time will tell.

Written by kdka

April 23, 2010 at 5:23 am